Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Exhibitor Spotlight: Kate Johnson

Name of Artist: 
Kate Johnson

Website or Facebook Page:  
Years of Participation in the Arts Fest:
New in 2014!!!
About the Artist or Work:
Art is in my genes. I come from a long line of craftsmen, my daughter is also an artist, and we are both married to artists.  I trained at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts was a career clinical scientist,and love my sense of smell. With Mamoucha handcrafted soaps I marry color, form, fragrance, and use chemistry all at once to produce a luxurious, useful object. I have a lot of fun in my studio. I like to call what i do “The Fine Art of Clean”.  All Mamoucha ingredients are FDC (Food, Drugs, Cosmetics) approved. I use naturally derived oils and butters, cruelty free fragrance oils, pigments, not dyes, and colored micas. I like to use Shea Butter, Glycerin, and Buttermilk in my soaps.  I am very proud to say that the national Handcrafted Soap, and Cosmetic Makers Guild used one of my soaps to illustrate their new "Why Handcrafted Soap? pamphlet.

What/who inspires you to create art?
Since I adore color, my eyes are always searching every thing I see for color combinations. The natural, online and print worlds are especially and I believe that I will need to watch Les Craven's Grand Budapest Hotel many, many times to cull all the fabulous color in that masterwork. Since I am a geek, My Nebula Series of soaps are influenced by NASA images of nebulas in space. 
Favorite Shop or Restaurant in Doylestown:
Sweet Pea Homemade Ice Cream


No comments:

Post a Comment